Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Happy Creatures Dancing on the Lawn

(Most of these photos were taken at Wildhhaven Ranch, a wildlife sanctuary for endangered and indigenous wild animals.  http://www.wildhaven.org/   )

I've lived here eight months now, and while I haven't found myself surrounded by lions, tigers and bears, I have seen a few incredible "creatures dancing on the lawn."  One of my first mornings here when I was so excited I would jump out of bed at 5:30 to watch the sunrise, I was thrilled to see a Great Horned Owl land on the deck's railing.  He was huge and so regal.  He (or she) just sat there for about one full minute and then took flight.  I haven't seen one since.

The next week, this would be December before the snow, my husband and I saw a bobcat slowly meandering across our back yard--in the middle of the afternoon. He continued on up the side of the house and then crossed in front.  He was slightly larger than a house cat, but very muscular with pointed, notched ears.
                                              

We were used to seeing coyotes in Los Angeles, so when I came across one on our access road, I wasn't too concerned. He returned a few times, sniffing and snooping around, even came down our driveway, but he did scare easily when I shouted. While I wouldn't linger with my dog Chloe near him, he didn't seem terribly aggressive.

Of course there were the frequent hawk and the rare but spectacular eagle sightings.
                                         
      

But the best was when I saw my first bear!  I was driving up the mountain on the 18 in what is called by locals "the narrows"--two lanes between the mountain cliff walls and the drop off to the valley below.  Just two car lengths ahead, a very large bear lumbered across the road and over the edge.  I desperately wanted to rewind and watch again in slow motion!  Quick as it was, it was still thrilling.

Least thrilling was coming across this critter when I was walking my dog in our front yard.  At first I freaked thinking it might be a rattler, but on closer inspection, it looked like a gopher snake.  Since we have plenty of gophers to keep him around, looks like he'll be one of my happy creatures dancing on our lawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment