Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Lookin' Out My Back Door, the Sequel

Chloe and I Lookin' Out Our Back Door
We moved to Simi Valley a little over a year ago.  We chose the area because it is close to horse boarding facilities, and it is also close to family in the Los Angeles area, yet removed from much of the congestion and traffic.  To my joy, I am still able to witness the marvels of nature just lookin' out my back door.  And so I've decided to continue my blog, which will focus a lot on the diverse birds that frequent my feeders, the critters that scamper about, and of course, occasionally, my horses Jack and Luke and their friends at the stable.

While I loved having the boys right out back for close to two years in the mountains, it was physically too much for me, which was why I never had the time to blog about the experience! Now they are close enough to visit every day, but I no longer have to muck and feed and worry about hay delivery.  Their stalls are large, and I exercise them every day.  Plus they are in the company of other horses, and I am with other horse lovers.  

You got some carrots?

Since we moved here, I have been fascinated by the many birds that visit my garden and feeders.  Some I was familiar with while others were new to me, or at least I had never seen them in my yard.  (I made a list which is closing in on thirty!)  As I watched them, I began to see distinct personalities, just like with our pets.  I decided to find out more about them beyond just looking them up quickly in my bird guide.  That's when I decided to resurrect my blog.  This way I can share what I learn with anyone who might be interested, and I will have a reference for myself whenever I want to revisit a particular post.
Mourning Dove, Red-winged Blackbird, Nutmeg Mannikin aka Spice Finch
California Quail
I recently came across this charming little book, Our Garden Birds by Matt Sewell.  He writes a paragraph or two about each bird and then draws a picture of the bird that captures their personality!  I am thinking of making my own little bird notebook as well, but with photos, not sketches, as I am no artist.  The best I can do is stick figures!


But for now, I am excited to resume my nature blog!  Where to begin?  I think my first new entry will be the proud strutting California Quail.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment